As the Cyberworld grows, the chances of an attack also grow with it. The sole purpose of having a pen test is to identify and find weaknesses in your application that may be exposed to the chance of exploitation by some foreign attacker. Penetration testing is vital and basically a need as it can save you from a possible hack and intrusion. It should be done on numerous varieties of codes and frameworks integrated into your applications. There are several software and hardware tools available to perform pen testing, but our focus is limited to share the powerful hardware pen testing tools available to perform successful pen testing in all areas.
Pen testing is essential for influential organizations as they have to protect sensitive data, which can be harmful for the organization if it gets into the wrong hands. To keep the data safe and avoid any breaches, pen testing should be performed.
Table of Contents
- What’s Penetration Testing?
- What Is The Need for Pen Testing?
- Who Performs The Pen Testing?
- Top 15 Powerful Hardware Pen Testing Tools For Successful Pen Testing:
- #1. Raspberry Pi:
- #2. WiFi Pineapple
- #3. Alfa Network Board
- #4. Panda Pau0 (6/9)
- #5. Rubber Ducky
- #6. LAN Turtle
- #7. Bash Bunny
- #8. HackRF One
- #9. Ubertooth One
- #10. Proxmark3 Kit
- #11. Lockpicks
- #12. Keylogger
- #13. Crazyradio PA 2.4 GHz USB Dongle
- #14. RoadMASSter-3 X2 Forensic Hard Drive Acquisition/Duplicator
- #15. NESDR RTL-SDR Receivers
- Wrap Up:
What’s Penetration Testing?
No matter how advanced the technology becomes, there will always be a weakness not yet explored. Computer security experts do penetration testing, and this is the procedure by which cybersecurity specialists identify and exploit security flaws in computer systems. These specialists are also known as ethical hackers or white-hat hackers. They develop solutions for the software shortcomings by simulating attacks carried out by cyber attackers or hackers. These attackers hack the systems with criminal intent, and so they are known as black hat hackers.
In simple words, ethical hackers find out how a cyber attacker can possibly exploit your network and enable you to build a firewall against any vulnerability that might become an issue in the future.
What Is The Need for Pen Testing?
• Allows an organization to discover vulnerabilities or flaws before cyber attackers exploit them.• Allows implementing a highly effective protection measure.• Allows regulatory oversight• Uncovers the access points of your computer networks that are most vulnerable to adversary attacks.• Helps organizations in highlighting and mitigating vulnerabilities through security software.
Who Performs The Pen Testing?
Ethical hackers or white-hat-hackers perform pen-testing. They are cybersecurity specialists whose main purpose is to perform pen-testing procedures for a company and help them identify the flaws in their systems.
Top 15 Powerful Hardware Pen Testing Tools For Successful Pen Testing:
#1. Raspberry Pi:
Raspberry Pi is an affordable, powerful, credit card size microcomputer that can efficiently support hardware accessories and is considered one of the best tools for pen-testing. Raspberry Pi is now in its fourth generation with Raspberry Pi 400. Its portable nature with powerful processing capabilities, a wide range of Linux distribution support, a lot of hardware accessories compatibility made the Raspberry Pi an awesome hardware pen testing tool to perform various types of pen testing.
- It’s portable and powerful
- It offers compatibility with a wide range of I/O peripherals and accessories.
- It supports a variety of Linux distribution: Kali, Ubuntu, Mint, Windows 10, and many more.
#2. WiFi Pineapple
A Wi-Fi Pineapple can be utilized as an unauthorized access point (AP) in man-in-the-middle (MitM) hacking attacks. Attacker use this hardware pen testing tool to create rogue Access Point and attract users to conduct man in the middle attacks and captured their credentials.
- The licensed PineAP Software fully emulates chosen networks, allowing for MitM attacks.
- Through MAC and SSID filters, you will stay within the range of interaction while limiting unintended harm.
- Quick and easy to use with a simple web interface, with a focus on workflow and relevant insights.
- There are a plethora of features it offers like Advanced Reconnaissance, Passive Surveillance, Automated Campaigns, Cloud C² Enabled communications, and more.
You will find a variety of Alfa Network adapters, and you will have to find the one that suits your preference the most. The chipset used in the adapters works flawlessly with different auditing apps.This Wi-Fi band is one of the most used and favorable for injecting packets. The quality of material used in the Alfa Networks makes it unique, and different models support different chipsets that Kali Linux natively supports.
- It operates in both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.
- It supports laptops with PC express, USB, Packet injection in Linux, Desktops with Linux.
- More powerful than any other Wi-Fi adapter on the market.
- Very Secure with 64/128/256bit WEP Encryption, TKIP, WPA,WPA2, 802.11i.
- Drivers included on CD for Windows 98SE, 2000, ME, WinCE 5.0, XP, 2003, Vista, Mac OS X 10.3/10.4, and GNU/Linux.
#4. Panda Pau0 (6/9)
Panda Pau0(6/9) is also a wireless USB adapter which is an ideal hardware pen-testing tool because of its features and fast speed. It can prevent unauthorized users that try to access your wireless network as it supports top-notch security features that are standardized. It is compatible with Linux distributions and several windows software.
- It upgrades your computer to the standard of the latest 802.11ac/n.
- It supports 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.
- It can extend the battery life of your laptop or device with its low power consumption feature.
- Its antennas are well suited for picking up weak signals.
#5. Rubber Ducky
Rubber ducky is a key injection hardware pen testing tool that looks fairly similar to a USB. It can be used to hack systems and identify the flaws in the system. The essential thing to note here is that Rubber Ducky is undetectable by Firewall, Anti-Virus because it replicates an HID device.
- It can be used as a malicious and non-malicious keystroke.
- It is a key injection tool.
- It cannot be detected by PC.
- It works as a keyboard for your computer and has a high speed of about 1000 WPM.
#6. LAN Turtle
The next hardware pen testing tool on our list is LAN Turtle. The LAN Turtle is a stealth Systems Administration and Penetration Testing system that enables discreet network access, system intelligence collection, and man-in-the-middle monitoring capability using a manageable graphic shell.
- Atheros AR9331 SoC at 400 MHz MIPS
- It supports a massive storage option to gather data and save a heap of network traffic.
- It shipped with a simple user interface and easy to use.
- It supports API calls to load modules
- It comes with an added feature of cloud C2 communication which gives more freedom for pentesters.
#7. Bash Bunny
The Bash Bunny is by far the most sophisticated USB attack system on the market. You can carry out hidden pen test attacks and IT optimization activities in seconds with easy code files. The Bash Bunny utilizes various network attacks from network hijacking to keystroke injection by imitating trustworthy machines such as keyboards, serial, Ethernet, and storage.
- It carries multiple payloads and picks the perfect attack with the flick of a switch.
- Its simple scripting language makes it easier and quicker to create payloads.
- It’s loaded with powerful hardware: Quad-core ARM processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a desktop-class 8 GB SSD which gives a boost in executing scripts.
- It comes with a 3-way payload selector switch, and a multi-color LED status indicator is easier to understand.
- A Linux terminal with a bash prompt makes it the perfect hardware pen testing tool.
#8. HackRF One
Great Scott Gadgets HackRF One is a Radio device effective in transmitting and receiving radio transmissions ranging from 1 MHz to 6 GHz. HackRF One is an open-source software framework designed to support new and next-generation radio technology testing and advancement.
- 1 MHz to 6MHz operating frequency
- 8-bit quadrature samples
- It is compatible with GNU Radio, etc
- Half-duplex transceiver
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- Open-source software (Hardware)
#9. Ubertooth One
The Ubertooth One is an open-source software 2.4 GHz wireless application framework that can be used to work with Bluetooth. The Ubertooth was created to be a low-cost alternate network for tracking and developing new wireless technologies, BLE and BT.
- 2.4 GHz transmit and receive
- In-System Programming (ISP) serial connector
- Standard Cortex Debug Connector (10-pin 50-mil JTAG)
#10. Proxmark3 Kit
Whenever it comes to reading and copying RF Tags, the Proxmark3 is the RFID preferred tool. Proxmark3 can act autonomously from a PC and is operated by an additional 3.7 V battery, and it provides advanced functionality based on the intended RFID Tag.
- Can read all the RFID tags.
- Can easily pretend to be the tag or the reader.
- It can run without a computer in standalone mode.
- Can identify interactions between a tag and reader.
Lock picking is a process when you break a lock without the original key and also without completely destroying the lock. Lock picking is essential in pen testing as it identifies the physical vulnerabilities of the security systems.
- They are a variety of simple lock picking devices, and they come in multiple kits or formats and can be threatening to physical security.
Keylogger is also considered a powerful hardware pen testing tool. Hardware keyloggers look more or less like typical small size USB pen drives. These devices sit right between your computer and keyboard to intercept the key signals that you enter on the keyboard. It’s easy to detect if you pay a little attention to all your external USB ports.
- Undetected by security systems.
- All the information copied to the clipboard is automatically saved.
- Screenshots of your screen are logged at random intervals of time.
- Can capture passwords even if they are hidden.
- Internet queries, programs, or instant messages are recorded at random intervals.
The Crazyradio PA is a long-range free USB radio adapter built on Nordic Semiconductor. It has a 20dBm amplifier, an LNA, and is pre-programmed with Crazyflie software.
- Radio power amplifier giving 20dBm output power.
- Up to 1km range LOS with Crazyflie 2.0.
- 2×5 2.54mm header for prototyping.
- Hardware support for PPM.
- It’s open-source firmware
The RoadMASSter-3 X2 is a portable forensic lab developed as a high-speed technical data collection and research workspace. It is among the most sophisticated computer forensic instruments in the industry. The RoadMASSter-3 X2 is outfitted with all of the equipment required to capture information from drives using modern drive interface software.
- It has high-end processing power.
- It supports multiple drive interfaces.
- It has multiple built-in ports.
- It has a rugged design as it comes in a shock-absorbent case.
- Can run multiple operational modes.
The RTL-SDR is a USB dongle that can work as a computer-based radio sensor to receive live radio signals in your region without the internet. Based on the type, it could acquire frequencies ranging from 500 kHz to 1.75 GHz. The majority of RTL-SDR software is now developed by the community and is freely available.
• Can listen to amateur radio hams with modulations of LSB/USB.• Are compatible with all RTL-SDR software packages.
• Can decode digital amateur radio ham communications.
Pen testing is essential and for the better security of your systems, so you should get it performed over time. Mentioned above are some of the powerful hardware pen testing tools in the market, which you can choose from according to your requirements, preference, and budget.
Thanks for reading this article. If you find this interesting, please visit our website to read more such articles.